Monday, January 28, 2008

text type assignment




Well, it's way too late for a school night, but here I am, setting text blocks of many fonts before I have to wake up at 8am and go to my job where I kern text blocks (of one font) all day in my little cubicle. Seriously though, this has been interesting. I think I've found a few typefaces I'm considering for body copy, although I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's and getting even more ideas (and then, yes, narrowing it down).

I started reading Stacey King's "Magazine Design that Works" and she talks about the obvious, and yet previously unknown to me "4 F's" being 1) Format 2) Formula 3) Frame and 4) Function. I think once I (hurry up and) nail those down, the font choices will become clearer to me.

SO FAR I LIKE:
Neutra Text
Interstate
Modern 20
Chaparrel
Mrs Eaves
Helvetica Condensed
Filosofia
Gil Sans

But, I have a few questions.
1) What the heck are some fonts that are considered "in style" right now? I should be able to figure this out, I know, but it does seem daunting.

2) I guess what I wonder is, are some fonts seriously dated? Will using some be a horrible faux pas in a portfolio?

3) And, on another tangent, can one set slab serifs as body copy? If so, which ones?

Goodnight!

2 comments:

kdawg said...

what i consider big no-no's:
•designing with generic mac fonts.
•designing with futura/helvetica/optima
•designing with "in-style" fonts (like gotham which everyone and their moms use nowadays..nyu uses it for their logotype)

pmn caecilia is a cool slab serif font for text type. it's friendly

LEAH FRANCES said...

thanks karen :)