Monday, February 4, 2008

Contents List

Hi there. OK, so we have come to the conclusion that I will be designing this magazine for 18-30-somethings with an eye for style and a semi-disposable income, who want to read about cooking from a rockabilly/ indie/ hipster point of view. And that's a mouthful...
Anyway, for a title I'm kicking around:
  1. Dynamo Snackbar, or maybe just
  2. Snackbar
It's gonna have a lot of pop culture, film and music references in its headlines and department names, I'm pretty sure.

DEPARTMENT PAGES (in order of what ends up looking good):
  • Pop Life- (Prince) a section about food in pop culture:
    left page with a recipe from a band-- looking at pork loin from the decemberists, or a fish dish from kings of convenience. also on this page, liz taylor circa butterfield eight hangover cure: cheeseburger and stawberry milkshake, with either a smoothie, or a hamburger recipe, and a good film still.
    right page is a tribute to candy, with some kind of type treatment of the beatles, savoy truffle, and a sidebar with recipe for an elvis PB, marshmellow and banana sandwich, or some other sweet concoction.

  • Have a Drink on Me - (ACDC) a section about beverages:
    left page with a factual article on coffee, and a segement about energy drinks, or maybe ice cream sodas, depends on available imagery.
    right page has a part about southern style sweet tea, and a section on classic cocktails

  • TV Dinners - (ZZ top) a section about eating in, name could change:
    left page with a product layout-- retro kitchen
    right page with a section "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie" about giving a dinner party, or place settings or something... and a sidebar: "call any vegetable" with a good veggie dish to serve your guests.

FEATURES (again, in order of what ends up looking good):
  • Diners/ looking for a great piece of pie. SIDEBAR RECIPE: pie.
  • Better than Takeout. Food and recipe spreads-- good ways to make pizza, fried chicken, chinese food or something at home.
  • For Goodness Sakes, take a Look at Those Cakes. Cake recipes/ photos. story about a bakery.
END PAGE:
  • Theme is fortune cookies.
In doing this class I am hoping to produce something commercial looking, for my portfolio, but still fun, if only in theme. So, sadly, it might not look all fancy with a lot of white space, and hardly any type. I also REALLY need to learn how to best cram a million things onto one page-- otherwise known as hierarchy, which is not my strong point, yet. I've found as a junior designer I am always given the front of book-- which where I've worked so far has been like solving an endless jigsaw puzzle-- very difficult. I'm going to practice that in this magazine.

:)

No comments: