Monday, February 18, 2008

Department Template

I can't figure out how to make a jpeg or PDF that shows my grid, but it's a 6 column grid, margins are .5 top, .6667 bottom, and .6028 inside and outside. gutter between columns is .1667. I'm basically looked at the cookbook I grew up with, the Betty Crocker Cookbook, for loose font inspiration:

headlines:
QuigleyWiggly, title case, or Bodoni poster compressed, all caps

subheads:
Bodoni poster, title case

body text:
Bodoni book, 8/10

recipe body text:
Franklin gothic book 8/10

ingredients:
Franklin gothic demi condensed 8/10

credits:
5 point franklin gothic book, in the gutter

byline:
none-- we're staff writers.

Hangline:

I do have one, for the main part of the page, but I am allowing my recipes to go above, with their boxes bleeding right off the top of the page. I looked at a lot of cooking mags, and i didn't see many with discernable hanglines. maybe in general they are busier than other genres of magazines?

Rubric:

It's a bitmap tiff that can be any colour, of gingham. And another bitmap tiff, again, can change colour, of a vintage lookin' lady holding a pie. the font is that QuigleyWiggly, which i am not settled on.

Here's a stab at a department, using the grid I set up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.